Chadderton Organisations

Compiled by the

Chadderton Historical Society

Home Page | School Local History Projects | History of Local Government | Members of Parliament | Long Serving Councillors | Christmas Lights & Calendar | News of the Year | Family History & Research | The Constitution | Chadderton Hall | Foxdenton Hall | Chadderton's Cotton Industry | Heritage Centre | Henry Taylor [Olympic Gold Medallist] | Peterloo Massacre | Membership | Lydia Becker. [Suffragist] | | AVRO [Chadderton's Proud Heritage] | Programme of Events | Favourite Links | Current Newsletters | Secretary's Report | Listed Buildings | Sir Philip Sidney Stott | Geoff Tootill-Baby Computer | Visitors Guide to Chadderton
  

 Chadderton Organisations

- Past and Present -

Below are listed various organisations which exist, or once existed, in Chadderton. It is the intention of the Historical Society to develop this page so as to include as many such groups as possible for each, in its own unique way, has contributed something to the lives of the people of our town.

 We have commenced by listing a large number of organisations of which we have some knowledge, however slight this may be. We accept that this will be a far from complete list and much research is still required, especially for those groups that now belong only to the pages of history.

 Should any member of the public know of an organisation not listed, please contact:

Website Secretary, Enid Johnson, e-mail: chs@chadderton-hs.freeuk.com

 

****************************

 * No longer in existence

Please Tick on the Index to gain access quickly to the Organisation/s in which you are interested.

1. Chadderton Cancer Research Committee

2. Chadderton Canine Society*

3. Chadderton District Chrysanthemum Society

4. Chadderton Citizens Advice Bureau

5. Chadderton Civic Society*

6. Chadderton and District Band

7. Chadderton District Scouts' Association

8. Chadderton Football Club

9. Chadderton Floral Art Society

10. Chadderton Golf Club*

11. Chadderton Music and Arts Club*

12. Chadderton Orchestral Society*

13. Chadderton and Middleton Sea Cadets

14. Royton and Chadderton Round Table

15. Royton and Chadderton Ladies' Circle

16. Chadderton and Failsworth Rotary Club

17. Chadderton and Failsworth Inner Wheel Club

18. Chadderton Royal British Legion

19. Chadderton Amateur Swimming Club

20. Chadderton Royal National Lifeboat Institute

21. Chadderton Winemakers' Circle*

22. Chadderton Branch: National Federation of Old-Age Pensioners*

23. Chadderton Council of Christian Congregations

24. Chadderton Old People's Welfare Committee*

25. St. Herbert's Amateur Dramatic and Entertainment Society

26. St. Matthew's Cricket Club

27. Chadderton Lyceum*

28. Chadderton Bowling and Cricket Club*

29. Chadderton Poultry and Fanciers' Association*

30. Stockbrook Cycling Club*

31. Chadderton Garrick Club*

32. Chadderton Red Cross*

33. Chadderton St. John's Ambulance Brigade*

34. Chadderton Clean Food Association*

35. South Chadderton Tennis Club*

36. South Chadderton Allotment Association

37. Busk Over-Sixties Club*

38. Fernhurst Allotment Society

39. Churches Together in Chadderton

40. Chadderton Rifle & Pistol Club

 

*********************************************************************

 

Chadderton Cancer Research Committee

History and Current Information

 (Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

 2.

Chadderton Canine Society

History and Cessation
 (Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

 
 

Chadderton District Chrysanthemum Society

History and Current Information 

 After an advert had been placed in the local press the inaugural meeting was held at Chadderton Library on 5th January 1938. Mr. A Bayley was appointed Chairman, and Mr. S. B. Heywood appointed Secretary. It was resolved that a Chrysanthemum Society should be formed in Chadderton with the object of promoting horticulture in general and the growth of chrysanthemums in particular. Its activities would be open to all who resided, or had greenhouses, within the Urban District of Chadderton. The following resolutions were passed:

The Entrance Fee to be 1s. 0d. [5p]

The Annual Subscription to be 2s 6d [12½p]

The Entry Fee to be paid by the next meeting, and the Subscription by September. The financial year would run from January to December.

The first elected Committee consisted of the Chairman and Secretary, and the following members: F. Isherwood, A. Chadderton, C. Whittle, G. Lowe, J. Wilson, W. Howarth, A. Boardman, T. Gregory, T. Hitching, J. Fallon, P. Proffitt, S. Booth,

It was also resolved that the Society would ask Chadderton Council for the free use of the (large) library lecture hall for 12 months. This was granted and the Society was pleased when Councillor George H. Ogden J. P. accepted the office of President. The Society was also granted the use of the town's Coat-of-Arms which it displayed on its Show Schedules.

The Society became affiliated to the Northern Counties Chrysanthemum League and eight Vice-Presidents were elected following an appeal. Among these were Sir A. N. Stewart Sandeman, Member of Parliament for Chadderton (which was then in the Constituency of Middleton and Prestwich), County Councillor J. R. Hague, Councillor Herbert Brabin, and former councillor Ernest Kempsey.

The Society sought funds for prizes and cups from a number of organisations, including the Royal Botanical Horticultural Society. The local M. P. was also approached for the donation of cups. Adverts in the first schedule cost 15s 0d [75p] for a full page; 7s 6d [37½p] for half a page; and 4s 0d [20p] for a quarter page. It was also agreed that school children could be admitted to the show if accompanied by their teachers.

The first show was held at Chadderton Town Hall on Friday 11th, and Saturday 12th November 1938, the Chairman of the Council, Councillor Spencer Johnson, being invited to open the Show. It was decided that refreshments would not be served, but that the services of an orchestra to play selections would be worthwhile pursuing. Unfortunately, none was available and the Society had to be content with the loan of a radiogram. This first Show was a great success and the Chrysanthemum Show was to become an annual affair at the Town Hall, although no shows were held in the war years of 1941, 1942 and 1943.

Headquarters were established at the Chadderton Arms Hotel on Broadway (now the Firwood Manor Preparatory School), and during the war years all profits from each year's work, which consisted of lectures, quizzes, etc., were donated to Chadderton War Charities, and the Old Folks' Party Fund. Display vases were unobtainable at this time and the Society had to borrow these from the neighbouring Middleton Chrysanthemum Society.

At the Sixth Show in 1946, the Society secured the services of the Orchestral Section of the Chadderton Music and Arts Club, whilst a group of ladies made sure that visitors to future shows would be refreshed by opening their cafe! A change in the rules made it possible for competitors to come from anywhere "within a radius of 4 miles of Chadderton Town Hall". In 1947 the Chadderton Society became affiliated to the National Chrysanthemum Society, and it became the tradition for the annual show to be opened by the current Chairman of the Urban District Council.

By the end of the 1940's the Committee could write of the Chadderton Show as "deservedly amongst the best in the North of England", whilst in 1950 the experts pronounced the local show "outstanding, ranking among the best in the country for quality". Promotion to Section 'A' was to follow. In 1952, it was reported that the people of Chadderton were becoming "chrysanthemum minded", and the Annual Show became a highlight in the town's calendar. In this same year the Society became affiliated to the Northern Group of the National Chrysanthemum Society. 

In 1959, a Ladies Section was formed, their exhibits being judged separately. In November 1961, this was reconstituted as the Chadderton Ladies Floral Art Society, and details of this organisation may be found under that heading.

The year 1961 saw the Coming-of-Age with the Twenty-First Annual Show (none held in 1941-43), and it was time to take stock of progress to date. Only three of the original members were still active, and it was recalled how meetings had once been packed to capacity, and competition was "keener than the proverbial mustard". In 1951, the Society had triumphed regionally by winning the coveted 200 guineas Trophy, only to have it taken away as a result of a protest concerning a questionably classified bloom. The story made the national newspapers and put Chadderton in the news!

Despite trials and tribulations, the Society continued to make progress with members exhibiting, and being successful, at shows throughout the country. Film shows, lectures and outings of interest were arranged, whilst an annual dance became part of the yearly social scene. In 1972, Councillor Ralph Semple M.B.E., J.P., a long-serving councillor, became President, a position he held until 1986.

In 1978, financial considerations meant that the Society had to cease using the Town Hall for its shows after 40 years, and a move was made to the Turf Lane Community Centre in south Chadderton. The Society diversified and the sale of bedding plants at various local venues also became part of the annual programme. 

In 1984, the Forty-Fourth Annual Show also included the title "and Floral Art Show" in its title, and in the following year the Society moved its headquarters from the Chadderton Arms, where it had been based since its inception, to the Boat and Horses. The 50th Anniversary of the Society was celebrated in 1988, but falling membership, due mainly to the death of many members, and changing leisure patterns, began to affect the viability of the Society.

On 17th February 1992, the decision was taken to merge with the Oldham Society, which had also been losing members, and the Oldham and Chadderton Chrysanthemum Society came into existence. Shows continue to be held at various venues, including the Chadderton Over Sixties Centre on Broadway, whilst meetings take place in the Boat and Horses. 

A full set of Show Schedules from 1938 to the present time exists, and these give a very comprehensive account of the work of the Chadderton and District Chrysanthemum Society during its many highly successful decades. 

For further details please contact:

Paul Heighway (Secretary)

Tel: 652-3568 

[Last Updated 24/10/03]

 

 

*********************************************************************

 

4.

Chadderton Citizens Advice Bureau

History and Current Information
 

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

 

5.

Chadderton Civic Society

History and Cessation

 

The Society was started in the late 1960's, and was a semi-official body having two nominated councillors from the Chadderton Urban District Council on its Committee.

Its main concerns were the future development of the town, in the light of the Council's policy of clearing older property.

 

In March 1969, a major exhibition entitled 'Our Town' was held in Chadderton Central Library, sponsored jointly by the Civic Society and the Libraries Committee of the Council. The exhibition was to mark National Library Fortnight, and was opened by the Chairman of the Council, Christopher Shepherd J.P. The gathering was addressed by Arthur Fairbrother, the Chairman of the Civic Society.

 

One of the main features of the exhibition was the restoration of Foxdenton Hall, which had been carried out by the Council between 1963 and 1965. In the display were old council minute books, house inventories from the 18th century, and a model of Chadderton as it was in 1817.

 

Looking to the future there were models on different aspects of the redevelopment of the Busk area of the town, and plans of the Trans-Pennine Motorway, the M62, which was to open in 1972.

 

The Society was also involved with beautifying Chadderton, and organised the planting of spring bulbs etc. on various grass borders and verges.

 

The date of cessation is not presently known but the Society was no longer active when local government was reorganised in April 1974.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

 

6.

Chadderton and District Band

History and Current Information

 

First Brass Band

Brass bands are a notable feature of many northern textile towns, and Chadderton is no exception. The earliest band, of which there are records, is that which existed at Healds Green in the 19th century. It is believed that this band's origins may have gone back to the 18th century. It later moved to central Chadderton where, as Chadderton Brass Band, it played local heroes out to the Boer War in 1899. It also welcomed home from the Olympic Games, in the early decades of the 20th century, Henry Taylor, the local champion swimmer.

 

When the First World War was declared, virtually all members of the Chadderton Band enlisted. These included one of the trombonists, James Moore, who at 49 was the oldest man to enlist in the Oldham Pals, the local battalion of the Manchester Regiment.

 

Social Club

A social club, known as the Chadderton Band Club, was opened in Chadderton on Radclyffe Street, Busk, and this was probably associated with the above band. The urban renewal of the 1960's, meant the demolition of this clubroom, but a replacement was built on Bentley Street, not far from the town hall. This survived until its closure and demolition in the late 1990's. However, long before this period, Chadderton Band Club had ceased to have any connection with local bands.

 

Origins of Chadderton and District Band

During the later years of the Chadderton Brass Band, a second local band was being formed at Busk under the title of the 9th Boys Brigade Band. The bandsmen were taught the rudiments of music on the blackboard, for at first there were no instruments! One of the original members, Joe Mills, (now deceased) was then very active in the band! Early in 1927, a set of instruments came into the possession of the band, and progress was such that they were able to put themselves on show at the Brigade camp held in the autumn of that year.

 

Changes in the leadership of the Brigade led to the sale of the instruments, but determination by a group of the members led to the acquisition of another set from the Manchester firm of Thomas Reynolds. The band was reformed about 1932, and with these new instruments came the new name of Busk Congregational Prize Band.

 

Music Teachers

The first music teacher was Mr. T. Powell, of Ogden Street, Chadderton. On his death the position was filled by Mr. J. H. White of Newton Heath, who had to travel more frequently from Manchester, to give lessons, as the band grew in numbers. Although he only charged 7s. 6d [37½p], the band could often only afford to pay his bus fare!

 

During the Second World War many members were called up to serve in the armed forces, and this caused considerable disruption to the band. Some of the instruments were loaned out to the Chadderton Sea Cadets, a move which prevented them deteriorating.

 

At the end of the war the band re-formed, and were joined by members of the former Chadderton Brass Band. The band now rehearsed in the newly built Chadderton Congregational Church on Garforth Street, but as this was not very convenient, due to rehearsals and church activities coinciding, the band had to move to other venues around the area.

 

Official Town Band

The band sought permanent premises for rehearsals, and in the 1950's, the former Chadderton Urban District Council offered them council facilities, with the invitation that the band change its name to Chadderton and District Band. This they did, becoming Chadderton's official town band, and they have continued to meet in the upper lecture rooms of the central library ever since.

 

Honours and Successes

In past years the band took part in many contests, but presently does not participate so frequently. On six occasions they took part in the London finals of the National Contest, the band being in Section 3 or Section 4. They have also enjoyed minor successes at Belle Vue, Manchester, Bolton, and Haslingden where they won on two occasions. Although the band is not active in contests it still takes to the road on Whit Friday, the day when brass bands come into their own as they march through nearby Saddleworth. In the late 1960's, Chadderton Band were placed higher than the famous Brighouse and Rastrick Band, who were then the reigning National Champions. On two successive occasions they won the local prize at the Greenfield Whit Friday Contest in Saddleworth.

 

Notable Members

Many players who started with Chadderton have subsequently moved on to First Section bands. Most of them gained their fundamental grounding under William Orcher, Chadderton's one-time conductor, who was a founder member of the band. Bill is well respected and admired by all who have known him, and has been congratulated for his method of teaching young players. A former pupil of his was to be recognised as possibly the finest soprano cornet player in the country.

 

In 1983, Joe Mills and Bill Orcher were honoured by the Chadderton Band, and the North-West Brass Band Association, for their services to the band movement.

 

Prospective Players

Chadderton and District Band have produced talented musicians in the past, and this is all credit to what is a small band. The band aims to continue this policy of encouraging prospective young players to progress and enjoy a wealth of musical culture.

 

The band meets in Chadderton Library on the following evenings:

Monday and Thursday.

 

For further details please contact:

Phil Rogers, 0161 627 4986.

Chadderton.

Lancs.

OL9 9EN

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

*********************************************************************

 

7.

 

Chadderton District Scouts' Association

History and Current Information

 

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

8.

Chadderton Football Club

History and Current Information

 

A predecessor, Chadderton A.F.C., was in existence in 1922 (details not presently available). The present Club was founded in 1947, and teams play at their ground at Broadway, which is also open for public recreation. The organisation also has a social club on adjacent Andrew Street.

.

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

 

9

.Chadderton Floral Art Society
History and Current Information
 
This organisation had its origins within the Chadderton Chrysanthemum Society. At the Sixteenth Annual Chrysanthemum Show, held in November 1956, a new class for ladies was introduced. This was open to any lady member of the Society, a member's wife or friend. In 1958, this became a separate Ladies' Section with two classes and a Ladies' Trophy.

 

At the annual show in 1959, this new section was given its own judge, and at the Twenty-First Show in 1961, a special Anniversary Class enabled the ladies to display their artistic skills with a Wall Vase. Each exhibitor was allowed an area of 4 square feet [3.6 sq. cm], with arrangements being suspended from picture hooks at approximately 4½ feet [1.4 metres] from the floor. Only fresh material was allowed.

 

Later in this same month of November 1961, the 'Chadderton Ladies Floral Art Society' was formally initiated and became an autonomous body, although it was affiliated to the Chrysanthemum Society and continued to exhibit at their annual shows. Flowers other than chrysanthemums could be used in many of the classes of displays. The first President was Mrs. S. Bonner; the Chairperson was Mrs. A. Oultram; the Secretary was Mrs. S. Hazlehurst; and the Show Secretary was Mrs. E. Wild. During 1963, the Society was affiliated to the Flower Arrangement Association of the North-West, and Joan Hall took over as Secretary, and also became the first Treasurer.

 

Within two years the Society had a membership of about 60, and financially the Society was very sound. Meetings were held monthly, and activities consisted mainly of demonstrations of floral art. In May 1964, the first show of Spring Floral Arrangements was held, and this was a huge success despite the date being also Cup Final Day! The Autumn Show continued to be staged alongside the Chrysanthemum Society's November display, and an excellent relationship existed between the two bodies.

 

In addition to the two annual shows, the Society also showed their talents for floral art in their decoration of local churches for fund raising events. Among these were St. Luke's and St. Saviour's. A Club entry in the Southport Show also became an annual affair.

 

In 1971, the Society celebrated its Tenth Anniversary, hiring rooms at the Town Hall for a two-day show. The word "Ladies" was dropped from the Society's title in that year and monthly meetings were being held at the former Methodist Church on Garforth Street, on the second Wednesday of each month. During May 1973, an ambitious show entitled "Chadderton Chapters in Flowers" was staged at the Town Hall. This took as its theme the recently published book on local history. Members also staged major displays at the Manchester Show, winning a Gold Medal in each of the years 1974, 1975, and 1976.

 

Headquarters moved to St. Mark's old school building, but use of the Town Hall ceased in 1976, because of rising hire charges. No Spring Show was held in 1977, but the Society was invited to decorate St. Luke's Church for the Royal Silver Jubilee, Illustrating the theme "The Word and the Sacrament". At the Manchester Show the Society came away with the Large Gold Medal for the entry "Pomp and Circumstance".

 

After a single show at Turf Lane Community Centre, the Society obtained the use of the Chadderton Over-Sixties Centre, on Broadway, changing its monthly meetings to the second Thursday. In succeeding years a wide variety of themes were depicted in flowers at local churches and other venues, and the Floral Art Society was a well-regarded organisation by the year of its Twenty-First Anniversary. Four years later, in 1986, the Silver Jubilee of the Society was suitably marked with a demonstration entitled "Fanfare". In 1988, a "most outstanding floral arrangement" was created by the Society to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the associated Chadderton Chrysanthemum Society.

 

A year or so after the Chrysanthemum Society merged with that of Oldham, in 1992, the Floral Art Society finally severed all links with its parent body. In 2001, it celebrated 40 years of existence, and a commemorative floral display was arranged in the circular flowerbed outside the Town Hall. Despite a reduced membership in recent years, Chadderton Floral Art Society continues to organise demonstrations at its monthly meetings, and provides a congenial atmosphere in which new members are made welcome.

 

A full set of Show Schedules from 1956, to the present time exists, and these give an account of the work of the Chadderton Floral Art Society during its many years of success.

 

For further details please contact:

Mrs. Florence Taylor, Secretary,

72 Chadderton Park Road,

Chadderton.

Tel: 633-1961

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

10.

Chadderton Golf Club

History and Cessation
Chadderton Golf Club was first formed in 1912, and was originally a nine-hole course situated opposite Chadderton Hall Park. At the outbreak of the First World War the land was taken over by the military authorities for an army camp - the Chadderton Army Camp, known locally as T' Chadderton 'Uts. The club used a room in Chadderton Town Hall for a clubhouse for the duration of the war.

 

When hostilities ended the decision was made to re-establish the golf club at Little Acres, north of Mills Hill, property owned by a Mr. G. F. Coulson. A fourteen hole course was laid out over land belonging to three different landlords, and it descended towards the Rochdale Canal near the former Duke of Bridgewater public house at Turnings.

 

The sandy sub-soil of the course, and its sporty lay-out, soon proved very popular, and at one time there were over 250 members, including the ladies section. Many of Chadderton's public men were members, and there were also many people from Middleton.

 

Unfortunately, during the Second World War membership declined drastically. Many members were serving in the armed forces, or engaged in work of national importance and unable to play. Transport to the course was also an added difficulty for the golf club was not easily accessible. The land was already being used for grazing purposes and, with great regret, the decision was made to close down.

 

The affairs of the Chadderton Golf Club were wound up and a sale of the club and effects was held on Wednesday 27th April 1942, at the clubhouse. Representatives of golf clubs and cricket clubs from Lancashire, Derbyshire and Cheshire, competed with farmers in the lively bidding that was conducted by Albert Hartley, of Messrs George Heywood and Son, of Queen Street, Oldham. The lots varied from teapots to a tractor, and whilst cricket clubs were bidding for mowers and lockers, the farmers present were more interested in the tractor.

The tractor, a 26hp Fordson, was bought for £280, a triple mower for £25 10s [£25.50], and a grass-cutting machine for £15.

 

Crockery and household items appealed to all sections of the crowd. Fourteen pieces of Lloyd Loom furniture realised £55, when sold individually, whilst spoon-back chairs were bought at £3 each. Armchairs averaged £4, a settee realised £6 10s [£6.50[, and tables were bought for £3 10s [£3.50]. A half tea service of 21 pieces was sold for £1 17s 6d [£1.82½]

 

Items of sentimental interest, such as the notice boards containing the lists of club captains and officials, were bought by other golf clubs, thus marking the official end of Chadderton Golf Club. The whereabouts of these pieces of interesting memorabilia has still to be established.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

 11.

Chadderton Music and Arts Club

History and Cessation

 

 

In the 1950's, the Club had a choral section under its conductor John Roberts. For many years it used the premises of Mills Hill Baptist Church Sunday School. The Club was still in existence at the demise of the Chadderton Urban District Council in April, 1974, when it organised a Drama Festival as part of the proceedings.

 [Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

12.

Chadderton Orchestral Society

History and Cessation

 

Organisation was in existence in 1956, and was still extant in 1974.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

13.

Chadderton and Middleton Sea Cadets

History and Current Information

 

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

14.

Royton and Chadderton Round Table

History and Current Information

 

The Round Table organisation was founded in Norwich in 1927, and aims at helping worthy causes and charities, and serving the community. The Oldham Round Table, at a meeting in the Union Club, Oldham, sponsored the inauguration of the Royton and Chadderton Table on 26th September 1955. The ceremony was organised by Norman Schofield, chairman of Area No. 8, and the motion to include Royton and Chadderton in the movement was proposed by Arthur McCartney, and seconded by Councillor George Sherratt of Royton.

 

The Chairman of the Oldham Table, George Sayce, remarked that it had only been five months since a meeting had been held to look at the viability of a new Table in Chadderton and Royton. The fact that the inaugural meeting was being held so soon afterwards was proof of the good fellowship and enthusiasm of the young men in both towns.

 

The two honoured guests at the ceremony were the Chairmen of the Royton and Chadderton Urban District Councils, Councillor G. L. Buckley, J. P., and Councillor Ralph Semple, J.P. Councillor Semple thought it was a good thing that the inaugural meeting was being held during the jubilee year of the Urban Councils' Association. He hoped that the Chairman would have as much success in his year of office as Councillor Buckley, of Royton, and he hoped they would have in theirs. The Royton and Chadderton Table was given the number 505.

 

Tabler Schofield then inducted the founder-members of the new Table. As names were called out each member stood up and placed the membership badges in their lapels. Arthur McCartney, a police inspector, was then elected Chairman of the new table, and other officers were Arthur Fairbrother of Chadderton, Vice-Chairman; Derek Pawsey, Secretary; and Derrik Hasty, Treasurer. Tabler McCartney was of the opinion that the new Table would be most successful for in only four months it had already enrolled 29 members. 

The Round Table has no class distinctions and is open to anyone of high integrity, who is prepared to put something into the organisation.

For further details please contact:

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

 *********************************************************************

15.

Royton and Chadderton Ladies' Circle

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

16.

Chadderton and Failsworth Rotary Club

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

17.

Chadderton and Failsworth Inner Wheel Club

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

18.

Chadderton Royal British Legion

History and Current Information

 

This was formed in 1921, and is one of the oldest branches in the country. For many years it supported a social club, known as the 'Ivy Leaf Club', which was a popular venue on Chancery Street, off Burnley Lane. This building was demolished in the early 1970's, and a new club was built adjacent to Chadderton way. Difficulties in the 1990's led to the vacation of these premises, and the local branch of the Royal British Legion now meets in the Chadderton Reform Club, on Middleton Road.

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

*********************************************************************

19.

Chadderton Amateur Swimming Club

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

20.

Chadderton Royal National Lifeboat Institute

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

21.

Chadderton Winemakers' Circle

History and Cessation

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

22.

Chadderton Branch:

National Federation of Old-Age Pensioners

History and Cessation

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

23.

Chadderton Council of Christian Congregations

History and Cessation

 

This body was active in the 1950's when it organised carol services at the Town Hall, singing being led by the Chadderton Music and Arts Club.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

24.

Chadderton Old People's Welfare Committee

History and Cessation

 

This group, which had links with the Council, was largely responsible for building the Over-Sixties Centre on Broadway in the mid-1950's. The club once had an excellent Over-Sixties choir.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

25.

St. Herbert's Amateur Dramatic and Entertainment Society

"S.H.A.D.E.S"

 

History and Current Information

  Since the formation of St. Herbert's Roman Catholic Parish in June 1916, concert parties, variety shows, and productions of various kinds, have been regular features of parish life. In the early decades of the 20th century these shows were often staged at various venues in Chadderton because St. Herbert's had no suitable hall of its own. Older parishioners remember minstrel shows, which were held at the former P.S.A. Church on Melbourne Street.

 

Dramatic productions in the parish became a more permanent feature under the guidance of Fr. T. Joseph Duggan, who was appointed curate in 1959. In 1955, the former temporary church had been re-erected on a site next to the new church, and here it was to serve as the parish hall until 1981. In this building a number of variety shows were to be staged between 1959 and 1963.

 

There was a break in these productions during the period 1963 to 1969, but in this latter year a 'Drama Group' was organised by a group of parishioners. Although it had many limitations, the stage in the old hall was adapted for more ambitious productions, and in February 1970, the first full-length pantomime was presented at St. Herbert's. Pantomimes, plays and variety shows, were to continue at regular intervals throughout the 1970's until the old parish hall was demolished in the spring of 1980.

 

The new Parish Centre, as opened in 1981, lacked stage facilities and this meant that productions were initially limited in scope, and the Dramatic Society went into decline. However, an extension to the Centre, with stage and changing facilities, remedied the situation and in December 1985, a Dramatic Society was re-formed, becoming known officially as 'St. Herbert's Amateur Dramatic and Entertainment Society' - S.H.A.D.E.S.!

 

With producers drawn from within and outside the parish, dramatic productions have gone from strength to strength. The public at large are assured of an evening's entertainment of a very high quality whenever they visit the Parish Centre to give their support to St. Herbert's Amateur Dramatic and Entertainment Society.

 

Membership of S.H.A.D.E.S. is open to everyone. Backstage staff, as well as those who would like to take part in productions, are always most welcome. Rehearsals normally take place on Tuesday evenings from 7.30 p.m.

 For further details please contact: The Parish Centre. St Herberts Church, Broadway, Chadderton.

 

Shades have been nominated for a NODA award for their production of Aladdin which was their production over Christmas 2004/05.

NODA's recognise the best amateur productions across the North West of England and North Wales.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 St. Herbert's Amateur Dramatic and Entertainments Society

:

 FUTURE PRODUCTION:

===================================================================

 Running from May 18th SHADES present an hilarious version of 'Allo Allo'. Most will remember the very successful 80's TV series which took place in NAZI occupied France.

This presentation will take place at St Herbert's Parish Centre, Broadway, Chadderton.

Tickets cost £5.00

Tickets available from:

Tel: 624-5856 or at any rehearsal.

Information acknowledged from the Advertiser

=====================================================================

 

.

 

 

 

[Last Updated May 2005]

 

**********************************************************************************

26.

St. Matthew's Cricket Club

History and Current Information

 

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

***********************************************************************************

 

27.

Chadderton Lyceum

History and Cessation

 

This organisation was formed in 1868, when the Chadderton Lyceum building, built to a classical style, was erected at the corner of Middleton Road and Melbourne Street. By 1874, the educational institute was experiencing financial difficulties and closed down. The building then became the first Chadderton Town Hall which it remained until the new town hall was opened in 1913. The building then became Howitts Printers, then a café for a short while in the late 1950's, and finally ended its days as Wrigley's Glass Merchants. It was demolished in March 1975, and the site is now occupied by the housing development on the opposite corner to the Kwiksave supermarket.

 

Although the first Lyceum failed, a group of bowlers who were attached to it, wished to continue their hobby. With the support of George Hamilton, who had been the Chairman of the Chadderton Local Board of Health in 1876-77, and 1877-78, they moved the short distance to Springbank, near the present St. Luke's Church.

 

George Hamilton was so impressed with the way the workingmen of Chadderton were enjoying their summer evenings that he decided to find them pleasures for the winter months. In May 1878, the second Lyceum, situated at the corner of George Street and Buckley Street, was opened by the Lord Bishop of Manchester.

 

The room soon became too small and at a tea party held in March 1879, in Chadderton Town Hall (ironically the first Lyceum building) discussions about an extension were held. George Hamilton promised to add another room which was opened in May 1880, much to the delight and gratitude of the local workingmen.

 

The building, designed by local architect Abraham Henthorn Stott & Sons, was now two storeys, and on the ground floor physical recreation for members was provided with billiard tables, etc. On the upper floor the room was for set aside for news reading, discussions, and entertainment, for which a piano was provided. Nearby was the bowling green which was considered one of the best in Lancashire.

 

The Lyceum was made into a trust and was governed by eighteen members, elected each year. The original intention was to build a more impressive Lyceum at a later date but this never materialised.

 

The construction of Broadway in 1922-25, meant that the bowling green had to be removed. A replacement was opened nearby at Albion Street, at the top of Queens Road. The Lyceum itself survived until the 1950's, when members moved to a pavilion adjacent to their bowling green. Now known as the Springbank Bowling Club, this organisation still exists as a social and bowling club, rather than an educational institute. The second Lyceum building, however, is still in existence and is used by a local painter and decorator who still incorporate the title 'Lyceum' in their address!

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

*********************************************************************

28.

Chadderton Bowling and Cricket Club

History and Cessation

 

This organisation was in existence in 1902.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

29.

Chadderton Poultry and Fanciers' Association

History and Cessation

 

This organisation was in existence in 1902.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

30.

Stockbrook Cycling Club

History and Cessation

 

This organisation was in existence in 1902.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

31.

Chadderton Garrick Club

History and Cessation

 

This organisation was in existence in 1922.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

32.

Chadderton Red Cross

History and Cessation

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

33.

Chadderton St. John's Ambulance Brigade

 
 

 

 

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

34.

Chadderton Clean Food Association

History and Cessation

 

This organisation, which probably dates from the Second World War, was still in existence in 1955.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)
 

*********************************************************************

35.

South Chadderton Tennis Club

History and Cessation

This was attached to the Primitive Methodist Church at Washbrook and was active in the mid-1920's. The courts were at Kingston Avenue, Chadderton.

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

36.

 

South Chadderton Allotment Association

History and Cessation

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

37.

 

Busk Over-Sixties Club

History and Cessation

 

This was attached to the Busk Wesleyan Methodist Church, which formerly stood on Busk Street. The church closed down in the late 1950's.

 

[Last Updated July 2002]

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

38.

Fernhurst Allotment Society

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

*********************************************************************

39.

 

Churches Together in Chadderton

History and Current Information

 

(Page currently being developed)

 

40.

Chadderton Rifle & Pistol Club

David Flannery,

46, Agnes St.

Chadderton,

OL9 8QR

Email: Dave@chadderton-rifle-and-pistol.co.uk

www.chadd-rifle-and-pistol.co.uk

 

*********************************************************************

 Home Page | School Local History Projects | Members of Parliament.Chadderton | History of Local Government | Long Serving Councillors | Christmas Lights & Calendar | News of the Year | Family History & Research | The Constitution | Chadderton Hall | Foxdenton Hall | Chadderton's Cotton Industry | Heritage Centre | Henry Taylor [Olympic Gold Medallist] | Peterloo Massacre | Membership & CHS booklets | Lydia Becker. [Suffragist] | | AVRO [Chadderton's Proud Heritage] | Programme of Events | Favourite Links | Current Newsletters | Secretary's Report | Listed Buildings | Sir Philip Sidney Stott | Geoff Tootill-Baby Computer | Visitors Guide to Chadderton

 

 

Last Modified: 08/05/2010 Copyright Chadderton Historical Society 1999-2010